Visits this weekend from Tony's friends have made all of the difference in the world in terms of his emotional outlook. Although Tony is getting weaker and having more trouble breathing each day, visits from friends are what is making it worth getting up every morning.
On Friday, Happy (Eric), Enus, Matt, Scott and Keegan came for a visit after a day on the mountain. This group of five + Tony, together, are the most hysterical that you can imagine. They have had so many amazing, silly, dangerous and awesome snowboarding days together, that most of us couldn't even imagine.
They packed up their empty beer cans and left just as the Hospice Care team came for their initial assessment. That was another story altogether, very sobering and sad to discuss the decisions to be made at this point of care. But the Hospice team is incredibly kind and warm, just like the folks from Shaw Cancer Center.
Saturday! Zach came for a visit from Santa Fe with dad Tom and girlfriend Susie! We watched the Phoenix Open (International, whatever), drank some mimosas and shared stories from the good ole days here in Vail.
On Saturday night Dominico arrived from Iowa! Dominico is (very) Italian and a Cardiac Surgeon and a dear friend of Tony's, they met in Frisco about 7 years ago. He helped me change Tony's dressings on his neck and his G-Tube -- it was cool to have a friend clinically treating him with such TLC.
Sunday, Zach and crew came for a quick visit before driving back to Santa Fe. Tony was a little more tired during they day, so it wasn't quite the same scene as the day before. After they left, we watched some Superbowl and Dominico joined us for dinner and rest of Superbowl. Thanks again to Hayden for a quick break to the store. p.s. Who thought the Black Eyed Peas were weak? Me too. Christina A. rocks though.
My parents arrive tomorrow. Tony's Mum arrives on Wednesday... and more to come. Should be some good stories to come. Thanks to Wendy Lew and her family for loaning their home for our family retreat... of sorts.
Good night! Long Day. Sandie
Hello Sandie, you must be an amazing person, I have been following your blog here in Australia, I am Jane, Tony's Aunty, my heart aches for him, I have been in remission from cancer and I too am on home oxygen, and I know only too well the pain he is enduring. Life sucks at times and this is one of them. I truly hoped he could get through his bucket list. Give him my love and tell him he is in my heart and prayers as are you, I shut my eyes and still see the little boy getting up to mischief, and when we last saw him at his Fathers for Christmas dinner along with Rebecca and David Jnr which must be 18 or so years ago, it is still so clear. Keep up your strength too as you are everyone and everything rolled into one. Take care and God bless. Jane xxxxxx
ReplyDeleteSandie, I agree with Aunty Jane - you are an amazing person. Do you and Tony like games? I have a fun one that I would like to bring you if that interests you. God Bless, Gay
ReplyDelete